Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Purses!

I've been thinking about playing with purses for quite a while, mostly inspired by my friend Debbie's creations. I bought a fun 1950s-style purse at a thrift store in Albuquerque, and now I've dug it out and am thinking about what I want to do with it. Here's the "before" photo (as you can see, I've already cut off the handle):



I'd also been thinking of making a purse from a jeans pant leg, and then I saw the nice "how-to" article in Haute Handbags from a woman who had done exactly that. Hers was a little more complicated than what I had originally planned, but I think it'll be a better bag in the end. I was just going to sew up the bottom of the leg, but the article tells you how to make a round bottom to sew into the leg and then line the whole thing. This will be some pretty sophisticated sewing for me! Here is the "before" photo of the pant leg, from an old pair of Chris's jeans:



Just what you'd expect, right? (yawn)

I have been gathering materials for this purse, and I hope to be sewing and painting on it by the end of the week. I'm working with a theme of "directions and journeys." I'll post more photos as I go along.

No comments: