Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Jumping in with both feet

I'm entering one of my yearly hectic seasons -- between late April and mid-May, I am usually swamped. This year, at least, Ross won't be finishing school, since Spokane schools don't finish until June. In spite of the craziness, I am trying to squeeze in art as much as possible.

I'm posting some new photos of my jeans purse. My (loose) theme for this project is "directions and journeys." Thinking about pathways, I thought it'd be fun to put footprints on the purse; what better way to do that than to trace my own feet!





I used a red Zig marker, then ironed it to help set it.

Early on, I decided to use some of my favorite quotations from 19th century American writers Emerson, Thoreau, and Whitman (I still have my high school copies of Walden and Leaves of Grass). I printed out the quotations on fabric, and then painted over the fabric with Dye-Na-Flow paints. Unfortunately, some of the words ran a little bit, but it's not terribly noticeable. I'm currently stitching on the Thoreau quote.



In other news, Chris and our friend Jason have decide to start making beer. They have split the cost of supplies, and are going to brew their first batch tonight, with the help of Chris's coworker, Matt, who has some experience. It'll be great to taste their efforts in a few weeks!

Ross has been struggling to complete all his homework lately. His teacher has been piling it on, and much of it is writing assignments, which is the area he struggles with the most. He is very resistant, mostly because he isn't picking the topic to write about. And, he thinks it's just awful that he has to do something that he really doesn't want to do. Much self-pity, wailing, and gnashing of teeth is involved. Of course, this drives us nuts. Just like everyone else, he has to learn that there are things that you don't want to do in life, but you have to do them anyway. At least he is learning that we are serious about him completing assignments on time, and he may be developing some time management skills. This morning, all on his own, he started to do some of his homework before we left, telling Chris that he wanted to make sure that he got to go to JD's house for dinner tonight (JD is Jason's son).

No comments: