Tuesday, May 15, 2007
I spent the past couple of days whipping up some ATCs for the Habiliments Arch ATC swap. I printed out my Chaplin sketch onto fabric. I was going to try to pad it a bit by stuffing in a little polyfill or batting before I attached it to the card, but I decided that was going to be more trouble than it was worth. He's fused on there instead.
The vases are cut from a gold paper that's almost like fabric, and easy to embroider through. The yarns are couched down. And of course, the cards had to have some beads and sequins!
I like the edging on the card with the pink striped vase. I decided to stitch some rolled-up ribbon onto the side of the card with a variegated, dark blue and purple embroidery floss. But then I didn't think it had enough oomph, so I went around again with a pearl cotton that is variegated with blues, purples, and pinks. Much nicer.
(DMC has a bunch of new variegated embroidery flosses. I fell in love with most of them as soon as I saw them in Michael's, and snapped them up. The colors are summer-y and the combinations are sophisticated. They have a package with all the colors, but I wasn't interested in the cross stitch charts that they include, so it was cheaper for me only to buy the colors I wanted.)