Friday, May 4, 2007

Snow showers in May

This morning I was sitting at the dining room table, working on the background for a journal page, when something prompted me to look out the window. The sun was peeking through the clouds, and there were big snowflakes drifting down! I laughed -- what crazy weather.

I've been concentrating on my journal for the last few days. I've been writing steadily for awhile, but lately I've decided to do more painting, drawing, collage, etc. It's very spontaneous. Most days, I get out of bed, open the journal, and start. Occasionally, I remember to paint a background the night before, but not always.

Today I decided to work with scraps from some of Ross's school worksheets, tissue paper, watercolor crayons, paint, and pens. I played with the idea of drawing some lilacs on the page, and here's what I ended up with (click on the image for a much larger view):



The page is a bit curly, so that's why you see my finger and a glass holding down the corners. The quotations are from Michael Beckwith's 40 Day Mind Fast Soul Feast, and "Daily Word," a small inspirational magazine. I looked at a photo in a gardening book while drawing the lilacs (they're just starting to bloom here, but not in my yard). Once I started to draw individual blossoms, I realized it was going to be tedious, but I tried to loosen up and not worry that it was going to be more representational than realistic. I like playing with the pens I bought recently -- it makes drawing a more pleasurable experience.

No comments: