Thursday, July 12, 2007

Chaplin

Chris, Ross, and I took Chaplin to a veterinary surgeon on Tuesday. After looking at Chaplin's records and examining his mouth, the surgeon told us that the cancer is inoperable.

He said that he knows a vet at WSU that is working on a new radiation protocol, but it's not a cure -- it would extend his life by six months to a year at best. We'd have to drive him down to Pullman, and he'd have intense therapy for two weeks, including a feeding tube for an extended period of time. We said no. Chaplin doesn't like to be handled -- he doesn't even like being brushed -- he would be absolutely miserable. That's no way to live.

He said Chaplin probably has months to live -- couldn't be any more specific than that, without knowing if the cancer has metastasized. Eventually, he will stop eating. Some people keep feeding their cats with eyedroppers after that, but we will not.

He is eating less these days. I think the biopsy really bothered his mouth. But we give him lots of little treats and plenty of love. We will shower him with love in the time that we have left together.

Thanks to all for your prayers and good wishes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am just so, so sorry for you guys. It just breaks my heart for you because I know how much it hurts.

Know that I love you all very much and you are in my thoughts and prayers everyday and every night.

Much Much Love,
Auntie Cathy

Lisa Gallup said...

Oh, Judy, I know this is hard. We had to have our Boxer put down in January because of cancer. We didn't do the chemo route because it would only have bought him 6 months or so. He only lived a month after his diagnosis, but we showered him with love and spent tons of time with him. Just last week we had to have our St. Bernard put down, so I really understand what you are going through. Just love on Chaplin as much as he'll let you. (((hugs)))

Judy Merrill-Smith said...

Thanks Cathy and Lisa for your support! Lisa, I am so, so sorry about your dogs -- I know how much they meant to you....