Thursday, August 30, 2007

Job interview!

Before we went to Michigan, I applied for a part-time history educator position at the local museum (Northwest Museum of Arts and Culture, or MAC). It's a job-share (2 people splitting the job), 18 hours a week, where I'd be developing programs and teaching kids (k-12) on field trips and helping coordinate volunteers. I thought it'd be a good fit for me -- I like teaching kids, and I was a history major many, many years ago.

I hadn't heard anything from them, and I figured they were either (a) not in a rush to conduct the search or (b) they'd decided not to interview me. But they left me a phone message Tuesday afternoon, and I called back Wednesday morning to discover that they did, in fact, want to interview me. So, I go in Wednesday morning to face a panel of 3 people; they'll ask the same questions of all of the candidates.

I don't know that I can describe the mixture of delight and terror that's churning in me. I looked at the want ads on a fluke, and there was this job, just calling my name! But it's been a long, long time since I held a "real" job. My position at Corbin Art Center is more like a contracting position; I am in charge, for the most part. I haven't had a supervisor in 10 years. I'm wracking my brain to come up with appropriate references. Am I ready to do this stuff again? How am I going to handle family responsibilities, hold down a job, and still find time to make art? I know, lots of people do this, but how am I going to do it?

But that's just it -- I am letting my ol' ego get in the way, aren't I? If I truly believe that God is always leading me to my good, then I have been led to the possibility of this job. What do I have to fear? What is the worst that can happen? I don't get the job? I do get the job, I hate it, I quit? I don't do it well and get fired? I've survived being fired before. I've quit before. I've not been hired before. None of this is unknown. I've not held a steady job since I've been a mom, so that's new ground. Maybe this is a challenge that I need right now. Maybe I need to relax and affirm that whatever happens, it's going to be okay. I can embrace the opportunity, and know that whatever comes, I will be just fine.

There's something to be said for the push that nerves can give you, though! Lots to do before the interview: line up references, get a decent outfit to interview in, including shoes and a little make-up(!), go tour the museum as a "civilian." I was there during spring break to teach a craft for Corbin, but I was pretty much glued to my spot. (Ironically enough, though, I spent the day in the new history classroom, which will be my home if I get this job.)

*****************

I went out to get the paper this morning and found that a squirrel had decided to snack on one of my Taxi tomatoes. It lay in the pot, half eaten. I picked the rest of the tomatoes that were mostly ripe.


There are some little green tomatoes left on the plants. Who knows how many more will ripen in the shorter, cooler days ahead? I am happy to savor every bite of whatever comes.

4 comments:

Lisa Gallup said...

Oooooh!! Good luck with the job interview! I haven't been in the job market since I had kids either, so I can understand your nerves. You'll do great!!

Judy Merrill-Smith said...

Thanks Lisa! I need all the moral support I can get!

Plain Jane said...

Just be yourself! You were drawn to the job description because you felt passionate about it. and hey 18 hours is a breeze!
And, I'm not sure, but I don't think makeup or panty hose (hahaha!) will get you the job, your enthusiasm and sincerity will.
best of luck!

Judy Merrill-Smith said...

LOL -- no, I don't expect my dressing style will get me the job, but I do need to look somewhat professional. I am an enthusiastic and sincere creature, no doubt about that. Thanks for the boost, Jane.