Tuesday, September 4, 2007

First day of third grade



Ross was all business, getting ready for school this morning. He was even ready 10 minutes early -- highly unusual!

As we walked to school, I thought about how different it was last year. Everything was an unknown: the school, the teacher, the kids. I tried to be cool and calm, but I was uneasy inside. I'm sure some of it rubbed off on Ross.

This year, Ross knows most of the kids in his class. We've gotten used to the school. The teacher is an unknown quantity, but I feel confident that we can handle whatever comes our way. Ross has matured a little this summer, and he understands that Chris and I consider school to be his number one priority. We have expectations for his behavior that we will hold him to.

At the same time, I am embracing the fact that this is Ross' journey, not mine. He will make his share of mistakes. I cannot save him from himself, nor should I. I want to embrace who he is, and encourage him to be true to himself.

We parents have the luxury of time. Teachers try to teach their subjects to all the kids in the time that they are allowed, but not all kids develop on that pace. The longest view they get to take is over the course of one school year. We parents get to watch our children develop over years. We don't have to feel rushed that they are not exactly like their peers in every area. We can be patient and feel the blessing of watching our children unfold, just as they are supposed to. What a joy it is to get to know who my son is!

2 comments:

Jojo said...

Hey -- cool blog! I just stumbled here via Julie Powell's blog. Anyhoo, just wanted to say hi. It was our first day of school too -- brings mixed emotions, doesn't it? :) = :(

Judy Merrill-Smith said...

Thanks, and welcome! (It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who surfs the web by checking out the blogs of people who leave comments on blogs!)