Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Interview day

I wasn't thrilled about shopping for an interview outfit on Labor Day weekend, but it was, in its own way, fun, once I got over the overwhelming sea of black skirts and the continued lack of interesting clothes for those of us over 40 and over a size 10. I finally ended up with a long olive green moleskin skirt and an offwhite textured button-up blouse, and a pair of sensible brown mary janes by Ecco. You know -- teacher's clothes.

In my book, a new outfit means it's time to make new jewelry. I remembered that I had some beautiful olive green stone beads that I'd bought in Albuquerque, so I dug them out. They are large (approx. 1"), flat ovals of rhyolite. I decided to combine them with carnelian, then added seashells for something a little unexpected. I rediscovered a fabulous clasp I'd bought at a bead show, and the rest fell into place.


Beading is one of the handiest skills a girl can learn! Great accessories in 3 hours, which would have been much shorter if I'd made them before Ross got home from school.

I'm not heavily into the healing powers of crystals, but I do own The Crystal Bible by Judy Hall. I think that if I'm going to work with stones, then it doesn't hurt to have a source to reference. Here's what it says about rhyolite: "... ignites the potential and the creativity of the soul. ... It imparts a sense of self-respect and acceptance of your true self. Mentally, Rhyolite imparts the strength to deal calmly with challenging life circumstances and bring awareness of one's own strength."

And carnelian: "...grounds you in the present reality. A stabilizing stone with high energy, it is excellent for restoring vitality and motivation, and for stimulating creativity."

Pretty good stuff to wear on a job interview, eh?

*******************

The interview was today at 11. A panel of three women (the head educator, and 2 curators) took turns asking me questions from a set script. They were pretty broad and open-ended questions, lots to riff on. It was a fairly relaxed and casual group, and it was a fun interview. I was mostly relaxed and positive, and I did pretty well thinking on my feet. I know it went as well as I could have hoped.

Depending on how the rest of the interviews go, I should hear back from them at the end of this week, or by the end of next week if they go deeper into the applicant pool. I liked talking with them -- they could be great coworkers. At the end, one woman said she had to ask if I'd made my jewelry -- I love saying "yes!" and taking it off so that people can handle it and enjoy the beauty as much as I do.

3 comments:

Jojo said...

Good luck with the job! Sounds like the outfit was nice, and holy crap you whipped up some new jewelry in a hurry! Very pretty.

Judy Merrill-Smith said...

Thanks Jojo!

Anonymous said...

Wow, great looking necklace. It is really beautiful! Sounds like the interview went really well.

Cathy