Sunday, September 16, 2007

New flower bed

"What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not been discovered." -- Emerson

I started to dig a new flower bed yesterday. We have a small strip of grass and a hawthorn tree on the far side of our driveway. I decided to take out some of the grass by the street, and I'll plant daylillies and some spring bulbs (snowdrops and grape hyacinths). It should be a pretty, low maintenance garden once the daylillies are established.

It's a lot of work to dig up sod! Ross helped me for a while. Chris, who was doing other chores, came out and suggested an easier way that I'll try today. I was using a flat-bottomed shovel, but Chris thought I could use the flat end of the pickax to pry the grass loose. (It's hard to describe, but I'll try to post photos later.) Fortunately, I don't have a lot more sod to pull up.

Then it'll be off to a home improvement store for top soil, compost, wood chips, and edging. I probably won't get to that till next week. Still, it's great to be digging in the dirt once again!

No comments: