Friday, September 28, 2007

Strategy meeting

I'm feeling a bit under the weather, so I'm trying to lay low today.

Chris and I met with Ross's teacher yesterday afternoon. We talked about how we could help Ross learn to be more focused in the classroom. We told her that we're glad that she enforces the natural consequences of his inattention (he has to stay in from recess to finish his work), but that he needs more help. I think she was surprised when we told him that he is frustrated and distressed about the situation, but I also think it grabbed her attention.

We talked about some strategies for helping him in the classroom and at home. It was positive and pleasant. I felt that she genuinely would like to help as much as she can. And I was upfront with her -- I know she has much more pressing problems in the classroom, but he really does want to do better, and he could use the help. So, we'll see how it goes. I'm not expecting miracles, but I do hope she can help him make progress.

No comments: