Friday, October 26, 2007

Friday bits

Ross went back to school this morning. Huzzah, huzzah! I love my kid, but this week taught me that I couldn't homeschool him. He is such a procrastinator and daydreamer, and it makes me nuts when I'm trying to get him to finish stuff. (He had a bunch of homework to do, including catching up on stuff from last week. Sigh.) He needs his peers, too. I want to just be mom -- he'll have to deal with the teachers, just as we all have. (That doesn't mean I'm just going to leave him in a bad situation if one arises, but it does mean that I'm going to let go more.)

I finally brought my sewing machine to the shop this morning. I was having a horrible time with thread tension, so I didn't bring the machine to AFF. A very nice older gentleman fiddled with my machine a bit, showed me what I was doing wrong, and didn't even charge me for his time -- just a pack of needles. What a wonderful experience.

I need to go run errands while Ross is in school -- been stuck in the house all week. We need food, Chaplin needs food, I need pearl cotton to work on my quilt squares.... It needs to happen today, because tomorrow I'm teaching a Halloween craft class to preschoolers at Corbin, then friends are throwing a Halloween party in the afternoon. It'll be an orange-and-black kind of a day.

2 comments:

Plain Jane said...

Chicken Pox! Hope he's feeling better and going back to school! (yea, how DO people homeschool??) Isn't Port Townsend and Fort Worden fun. Did you stay in a house or dorm? Fiber fest sounds like it was fun. Beads, a heart book and caligraphy on fabric. can't wait to see what you'll do with it.

Judy Merrill-Smith said...

Hey Jane! I stayed in a dorm. My wing was pretty quiet, but I hung out with the girls downstairs on Saturday night -- a loud and festive group, to be sure. Much better than my original dorm days.