Friday, November 30, 2007

Easy gift box

As I was getting ready to send off my new necklace and earring set, I realized that I was out of jewelry gift boxes, the kind that has the cotton "bed" already inside. So I started rummaging through my stash of boxes, and the only one that would work was a box that had held bank checks. Hmm.

I had been reading Kelly Rae Roberts' article in the November/December Cloth Paper Scissors about collaging paper "patchwork" as a background for paintings. She suggests using old cards for the collage. The light bulb turned on in my head! I have a bunch of old Christmas cards, and they could be used to collage the check box.

I lightly sandpapered the glossy surfaces of the box with fine-grit sandpaper, then gessoed. Picking cards with lots of blues, I cut rectangles and squares to cover the surfaces of the box, and glued them on. In Kelly's article, she suggests coating the surface with gel medium at this point. My box would have looked nicer if I had done this, but I wanted to get done quickly, so I didn't do that.

I dabbed white and blue paint all over the box with a sponge, wiping it off if it got too heavy.

After the paint dried, it was time to jazz things up with sequins.

I felt that the box was lacking a focal point on the top, so I found some writing in an old calendar that I liked, glued it on, and painted "Peace" on top.


The last photo shows the finished bottom and top of the box. Now the lucky winner of my jewelry doesn't even have to wrap it to give it as a Christmas present.

1 comment:

corina_jansen said...

Thank you for the nice idea, I have a lot of old cards too!