Friday, November 2, 2007

Trick or treat

I tried to post this yesterday, but Blogger was swamped with other folks trying to do the same thing.

Ross' teacher mercifully did not assign any homework Wednesday night, so Ross and I did a quick decorating job on the front of our house.


The "Bubbs" pumpkin (carved earlier in the week). He's a character at homestarrunner.com -- the folks who bring us Strong Bad, et al., always post jack-o'-lantern stencils, so we've used them for a couple of years now.


Ross helping with the spider webs.


The finished product, not bad for under an hour of work.

After dinner and a little tv watching (Ross was not in a big hurry), Ross and I suited up for the cold, while Chris put on a tamer version of his costume to wear while handing out candy. Ross decided to put the ninja costume over his winter coat, so he looks a little bulky.

Ross and I went trick-or-treating in our neighborhood. Lots of folks are elderly and do not hand out candy, but those who do give out a lot! Ross came home with a very nice pile.


Chris had some leftover dry ice -- he shows up with a goblet of bubbling green liquid during his classes every year -- so of course we had to use it up.



Chris put the pot on the floor, and Chaplin decided to investigate. He cautiously sniffed it, then stuck his face deeper in the pot, and pulled back in disgust.


Ross ate plenty of candy that night, and we've got plenty left. I'm glad I have a child who can eat his Halloween candy in moderation -- we'll easily still have some at Thanksgiving.

4 comments:

bradley said...

Who gives out Fritos for Halloween? Don't get me wrong. I like the Fritos (or at least I used to back in those halcyon days before I had to check the fat and sodium content on every label (sigh)). Seems like an eccentric choice though.

Anonymous said...

Judy, I love your blog!!!

Auntie

Judy Merrill-Smith said...

Yes, the Fritos are a little odd. A very nice, elderly Japanese couple gave them in goodie bags that also included mini Oreos and a couple of candy bars. Very generous! Ross happily ate the Fritos this afternoon. I think he loves chips even more than he loves candy. Chris and I have often joked that we should put a salt lick in his room.

Life on the Edge said...

I love the pumpkin!

speaking of weird things in the trick or treat bag...we have a lady in our neighborhood that gives out Top Ramen each year! No kidding! You'll have to come trick or treat our hood sometime!