Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Advent activities


Ah, the hustle and bustle of the preparations for Christmas! After a burst of shopping after Thanksgiving, I've been avoiding the gift scene. I have to ship most of our gifts out of state, but I am having a hard time getting motivated so far.

Chris and I did get our outdoor lights hung this weekend, despite the lousy weather. Today is mild and sunny, as good a day as I'm likely to get in December for doing a sketch in my plein air journal. I took a camp chair out of the garage and drew the shrub by our front door. I had to go inside to finish it, though -- the wind started to get to me.


I'm working on an icicle doll. I saw Sara Lechner's doll on her blog, then looked at Belinda's originals on her blog, and I thought they were just too cool! (Pun intended.) Belinda has a template, if you want to use it, but I didn't.

My doll (in progress) is sewn from an old t-shirt and stuffed with polyfill. I sewed on a fancy trim for hair. I wrapped a ribbon yarn around the body, then stitched it down with seed beads in the front, and pearl cotton in the back. Now she needs a face -- I'm still not quite sure what I'll do. I think she's going to have a scarf, too.

I'd forgotten how much I like making dolls. In fact, this project motivated me to suggest an art doll class for spring 2008 at Corbin Art Center. If you're in Spokane and want to come play, check out their registration website. (The class will be in April, and I think you'll be able to register for it in March.)

No comments: