Wednesday, January 9, 2008

"Blue dreadlocks" art doll

I finished this art doll yesterday. We've had grey skies and lots of snow, so I had to take the pictures inside. It's not my favorite lighting, but you can see the details fairly well.





The doll is a large version of Belinda's icicle dolls. (Click on my "art dolls" label, at right, for more details.) The body is pieces from my scrap bag, free-motion quilted onto felt -- a technique I learned in Alma Stoller's class at Artfiberfest. I loosely crocheted ribbon yarns on a big hook to make the dreadlocks, and then sewed them into the top seam after I stuffed the doll. The face is drawn with a Gelly Roll pen onto muslin.

Some of the seams between the fabric scraps were loose, so I decided to embellish with beads, sequins, and embroidery, mostly along those seams. One of the reasons that I love embellishment is that it hides my mistakes! And hey, no piece is really "mine" until it has some beads on it.

This is a gift for a friend. She may well see it on the blog before she gets it in the mail. I hope it's a pleasant surprise when it arrives.

2 comments:

Cotton Picker said...

Judy, wow, that doll is wonderful with all the detail. Thanks for showing all views. You've given me some ideas on how to use beads as my experience is very limited.

Cheers

Inga

Cathy Smith said...

What a cute doll! She is just really neat.