Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The end of winter, the beginning of spring

Our days have been in the 40s, and our nights have dropped to freezing. The freeze/thaw cycle is terrible for the roads, but man, it make for gorgeous ice! These photos are of a puddle at the end of a nearby driveway. Some of it is hollow; you can see the mud underneath.



I'll be posting more of these puddle pics on my flickr account (click on the flickr link in the margin).

While I remain fascinated by the remains of winter, I am eagerly seeking out the new shoots of spring. My neighbor's crocuses are peeking.

The new flowerbed I planted in the fall has been covered with a huge pile of snow for weeks. At last it has thawed, and I think I may have a snowdrop popping up. I am always thrilled to see my bulbs come to life!

6 comments:

Cathy Smith said...

Love the photos! I would love to see some crocus's anywhere up here right now. Another storm system headed our way for the weekend, bblagghhh.

The Lone Beader said...

Oh, I can't wait for spring!

Stacia said...

I love the ice pics. They remind me of my days in NH. It has been in the 80's here in Phoenix the last few days. The only ice in my driveway is from the spilled soda cup.

MARGARET FIELD said...

wow, loving those ice photos. really cool

Marisa said...

these are all beautiful photos! nice shots!

beadexplorer said...

I love these icy puddles. Today we are having snow in Germany. We have not had much of it. Two weeks ago we had really spring-like weather. The weather is crazy. :)
Oh yeah, the last pic makes me hopeful that it will be spring soon!