Saturday, March 29, 2008

Adventures await

We are moving into adventures!

Chris has arrived in Shanghai. He called me when he reached his hotel this morning (8 am our time, 10 pm Shanghai time), exhausted and ready for bed. He purposely did not sleep on any of the flights, so that he could go to bed on Shanghai time and minimize the jet lag. He is there as an invited speaker for an education conference. I know that he was nervous about the trip before he left, but I think he will have an interesting time of it. The conference planners have arranged a guided tour of the city today. It boggles my mind to imagine the streets of Shanghai. I would be snapping a million pictures. I put in my requests for silk and/or ephemera (Cultural Revolution stuff, postcards, comic books ... the guide books make these treasures sound fairly available, so I'm hoping he manages to gather some goodies for me!).

My camera has gone to Shanghai as well. It was really, really hard to hand it over. I think Chris was hesitant even to ask for it, because he knew how much I've come to rely on it. A friend is loaning me a camera, though -- whew!

The camera will be put to work right away, because Ross and I will be off on our own adventure. It's spring break, and we are headed to Seattle, leaving tomorrow, returning Wednesday. It's high time we get a taste of the big city! We're going to do the touristy stuff, of course -- our hotel is right by the Space Needle. We're planning on seeing the Pacific Science Center, Pike Place Market, perhaps the aquarium, and Chinatown. I don't want to be rushed, feeling obligated to hit every spot on our list. Ross and I do best if we are relaxed and explore what catches our eyes in the moment. That's only natural, I suppose. I envision savoring the sights, enjoying the time with my son, eager to hear his take on what we see.

Gotta go pack! I'm looking forward to blogging about it all when we return.

6 comments:

SpokaneMama said...

Let us know how the aquarium is! They were doing all sorts of expansions when we went over last year and we decided to skip it and wait till they were done before going there again. (we were disappointed the first time we went, 3 years ago, cuz it was so small...we figured Seattle would have something grander.)

Lisa Gallup said...

Have a great time!! I loved doing "field trip" type stuff with my kids when they were younger. It's so fun to see things through their eyes. :) Enjoy!

GreenishLady said...

Enjoy your break! Seattle is on my list of "must visit sometime" places.

The Lone Beader said...

Awesome! I've always wanted to go to Seattle. The Space Needle looks cool.

Cathy Smith said...

It boggles my mind to think that my brother is in China speaking at an education conference. WOW!! I am so proud of him. I will, however, be very glad when he is back on US soil. It worries me when any of my family must travel outside our country anymore. Sigh...it is sad to think that the world can be such a dangerous place.

Yolanda said...

I hope you have a terrific time and lots of pictures to show.