Saturday, June 28, 2008

I've never seen a purple giraffe . . .

Purple giraffe back

. . . until now!

Purple giraffe

I made this guy for my friend who is taking a new job. The party in her honor was Friday evening, so I worked all day Friday to finish. These photos were taken moments after finishing, and moments before leaving for the party.

I used a vintage pattern, probably from the 1950s, that I'd found on etsy. I modified it by making the tail and legs differently. Sewing the body was quite a challenge; you can see that the head and neck came out a bit twisted, as if he's tilting his head. I was going to use tiny, beaded yo-yos for the giraffe's spots, but I didn't get enough made in time, so I painted spots instead. I did make a heart yo-yo for him, though. I'd thought I could use felt for the mane, but it didn't work the way I thought it would, so I made the time-consuming yarn mane instead. It is luxurious to run your fingers through it.

Purple giraffe profile

I want to make another giraffe -- the theme for this year's ArtFiberFest is circus animals -- but I think I'll use a different pattern, or change this one some more. Still, I am happy with the way this one turned out.

4 comments:

Agnes said...

Judy, I've never seen a purple giraffe either...but he's cute!! The twisted neck just adds to his personality...makes him look curious!!!

Auntie

Suzee said...

I love the yarn you used for the mane - I don't know how much time it took, but I'd say it was worth it :)

The Lone Beader said...

Judy, I LOVE your purple giraffe! He came out awesome!

Cathy Smith said...

Sis,
He is absolutely gorgeous and the cute little tilt to his head only gives him a friendly look as if he is saying "Hi best friend, come over here and give me a hug!"

You are just so incredibly talented.

Much Love,
Cathy