Monday, June 16, 2008

Paint and paper

I love to play with paint and paper. I don't know much about painting, but that makes it easier for me to mess around with it. Low to no expectations.

When I realized that I'd need to wrap my friend's wedding present, I thought, hey, I could make the wrapping paper! I've done it a few times before. I have a big roll of brown kraft paper, so I cut off a piece big enough to wrap the package, taped it down to my dining room paper, and pulled out the acrylic paints. Dabbing on blues and greens and whites, wiping paint on my smock, smiling . . .

I used a big heart-shaped stamp that I had carved from a foam door hanger, an immediate way to fit the wedding theme. I mixed some copper Pearl Ex into acrylic gel medium and stamped away. The copper didn't show up as much as I would have like, so I outlined the stamping with copper paint.

Heart wrapping paper

Wrapping paper close-up

The only drawback was that the painted surface was not scotchtape-friendly. When I tried to wrap the package, the tape wouldn't stick, and neither would clear shipping tape. Fortunately, the paper held the folds, and I just wrapped ribbon around it to keep it all together.

3 comments:

Cotton Picker said...

What a great idea to make your own gift wrap paper. I have lots of brown kraft paper so I think I will give it a go the next time I need to wrap a gift.

GreenishLady said...

That's wonderful! Unique wrapping paper makes the gift all the more special.

I was relying on Bloglines to let me know when you posted, and they let me down. - A huge backlog of posts from quite a few blogs just appeared on my lists today. Sorry if you thought I was ignoring you! I thought you might be away. Glad to catch up again. The monarch is beautiful!

nonizamboni said...

This is a beautiful project...I especially like the copper against the many great blues. You are such an artistic encourager.