Monday, November 3, 2008

Artfiberfest 2008

(Sorry it has taken me so long to post -- it's been a crazy month.)

Artfiberfest 2008 was a wonderful, wonderful event. Sharing a few days with fiber friends, old and new, and seeing and learning new techniques and possibilities -- I couldn't ask for anything more.

I didn't take many photos in Port Townsend. Sometimes it feels better to stay immersed in the moment, rather than step back with a camera and assess from a distance.

My first class was Lisa Engelbrecht's "Book of Intentions." I'd taken a class with Lisa last year -- she is an excellent teacher. This year, though, I was not happy with what I created in class. This was no fault of Lisa's! My past doubts and fears came swimming to the surface, and it was an opportunity to learn from those dark emotions. It was hard to accept these tough feelings welling up in me, but I think I will come to know them as a blessing.

Then I dived into crochet with Alma Stoller. I hadn't crocheted since my grandmother taught me some basic stitches when I was in high school. I started an afghan back then, but I only finished a 2-foot square. Well, Alma taught us some funky and freeform stuff -- what a blast!

Crochet scrumbles

I made a very organic, crocheted "bead," and decided that it was meant to be a hat for a plushie. So then, of course, I had to make the plushie on the spot! I spent some of my free time constructing her, in time for Saturday night's show and tell.

Scrumble-hat plushie

Scrumble-hat plushie face

Scrumble hat back

Saturday I learned how to spin yarn in Tracie Lampe's class. She makes wonderful funky, chunky yarns. Our first "lump" was plain roving, spun on a drop spindle, and then dyed with Kool Aid. What great colors! I'm trying to decide what I'll crochet this beauty into.

My first yarn

Looks like AFF will be moving to the summer for 2009. That will make my next October much more sane! I can hardly wait to see what'll be offered next year.

2 comments:

Alma Stoller said...

Judy, AFF was so much fun....wasn't it.
Your crochet pieces stand alone and can be incorporated into other fabric or fiber art works.
Your yarn looks like cherry flavored cotton candy.
Great color!

It was so nice to see you again.

Alma

Cotton Picker said...

Lucky you that you could attend these classes. I hope that I will be able to do something like that one day too.