Monday, November 17, 2008

Busy, busy fall

Angel in leaves

(birdbath at my church)

November is whizzing by. I've been spending a lot of time at the sewing machine, preparing samples for classes.

I taught a 3-hour workshop on art dolls on Saturday. I had 8 people signed up, but only 4 rolled out of bed and showed up. I'm so glad they did -- they were an enthusiastic bunch, and we had a lot of fun. They were happy to get some inspiration.

None of the samples below are finished yet. The middle doll, with the arms, is made from my photos. I printed them on cotton muslin, specially prepared for inkjet printers. (These are Jacquard sheets, and other companies make them as well.) I zigzagged the photos onto a flannel backing, then cut out the doll shape. (Click on the photos for a larger view.)

Art doll class samples

My youth sewing class has been quite the challenge. Four 1-1/2 hour classes, teaching 9- to 13-year-olds how to use a sewing machine. I made a tote bag sample for them, using old blue jeans and plain cotton webbing for the straps. I thought it needed to be spiced up, so I took out my paints and inks and went to town on it. It'll get some writing on it eventually, but I've been using it as is, carrying yarn and crochet hooks in it.

Graffiti jeans purse (unfinished)

My last youth sewing class is this Thursday, and I won't teach another class until February. That means I can concentrate on the holidays now!

4 comments:

Alma Stoller said...

really great projects Judy.

Alma

Yolanda said...

I just wanted to stop by and wish you a wonderful holiday.

Christy said...

I love this photo, with the leaves as a frame; really something you've captured. Well done!

Judy Merrill-Smith said...

Thanks all!