Wednesday, November 5, 2008

My 250th post -- Obama is elected president

YES!!!

A thousand times, YES! Yes, we did it!

The roar of the three of us in our living room, when Ohio went blue, was pure emotion, pure joy. Chris was still being cautious after that, but me, ever the optimist, started to relax.

Yet when the networks called the race, part of me felt a little scared -- did I dare really believe that this moment was now?!?

What made it real: watching tears stream down Jesse Jackson's face. I said to Chris, "He's remembering Martin."

I cannot forget the heartbreak of my history lessons -- JFK, Martin, Bobby. But oh, what a day this is. Now. So, so sweet. Martin Luther King, Jr. is so proud, somewhere out there.

It is a time to smile, and to dance. But notice how serious Barack looked as he delivered his speech. The gravity of the office is already upon his shoulders. He is ready to tackle what lies ahead.

So, don't give up on that chant: Yes, we can! Yes, we can! Let it be our collective mantra, our reminder of what we aspire to be, each and every day. Let us remember that we are all one. Let us reach out to one another. Let us continue to climb up the mountain.

6 comments:

The Lone Beader said...

Coming from a Republican family who lives in Ohio & Pennsylvania, I was ecstatic to see when they went blue! I have never been so proud to be an American!

inkberryblue said...

What a momentous day! I felt teary when I found out...and when I saw Jesse Jackson crying I thought of Dr King too. This is an historic occasion for people who cherish social justice everywhere. No wonder you're proud.
x

Cathy Smith said...

Hey Sis,
I felt it when Pennsylvania went and knew it when Ohio fell. I got teary when that happened and scared too. I remember another handsome, intelligent, transformational man who was elected President and his beautiful wife. We were all full of dreams that ordinary Americans could really make a difference. Many of us were going to join the Corp. or Vista. And I remember exactly where I was when my 7th grade teacher, Mr. Taylor announced to us that John F. Kennedy had been shot. My generation's dreams died with him that day and in the years that followed, when we lost Martin and Bobby. We became cynical and to this day mistrust our own government. We have had our hopes dashed so much that it is hard to really believe that ordinary Americans can fight the military-industrial-governmental complex and win but for now it has happened. May God watch over him and us!

Anonymous said...

I cried also, but not for the same reason as you inberryblue. I am so sad to see someone who is so unamerican as Obama elected president. His afiliations with organizations that support terrorism is very frightening. You are right Cathy Smith, May God Watch over All of Us, because our president won't be!!!

Judy Merrill-Smith said...

I am saddened by your comment, anonymous. I can feel the fear in your words. I remember how I felt when Ronald Reagan won in 1980 -- I was young and scared, wishing I could flee to Canada. I wish I could buy you a cup of coffee, and just sit with you and listen, and maybe give you a hug. I wish you peace.

Agnes said...

I agree with Anonymous!! We know so little about this man. I hope we don't all live to regret this election. This is only the second time in my life I've voted red, and now I'm really scared. Jessy Jackson was only crying because it wasn't him. We all heard what he really thinks about Obama. God protect us.