Saturday, January 3, 2009

Little books

After participating in the I Heart Zines swap, I have been thinking about making more little books. To create a multi-layered background for the covers, I improvised on Beryl Taylor's method for making fabric paper. (I think there was a recent article in Cloth Paper Scissors that showed something similar, but I can't seem to put my hands on it at the moment.) I cut open a small grocery bag and glued old book pages on it. Next I doodled with a Sharpie and water-soluble crayons, then used watered-down PVA glue to add a layer of tissue papers. Finally, I sprayed watered-down acrylic ink on top.

Blue and green covers

The paint samples will be book pages, and there will be other things in there, too. (Stay tuned. . . .)

I painted and inked an old denim pant leg, thinking that I'll need some sturdy fabric for constructing these books. I'm thinking this could be cute to use in making plushies, as well.

Painted denim

And lo and behold, look what came in the mail yesterday! My friend Deberah Morrow sent me a beautiful little book that she'd made. Isn't it grand? I love the big shiny yo-yo, and the beads, and that nifty sewing machine charm (top right).

Debbie's book

2 comments:

Suzee said...

Good Morning Judy - I've left you a "One Lovely Blog Award" on my blog :) Keep it coming!

inkberryblue said...

I love the textures and the colours of the paper and the fabric. Gorgeous!