Friday, February 13, 2009

Crafty help for our friends down under

I've been happy to keep up with a few Australian bloggers as I've gotten more interested in the blogging world. The news of the terrible Victorian brushfires has been sobering, as we in the western U.S. can all-too-easily relate to the plight of people and animals caught in the disaster. inkberryblue has written a post about her sadness, but she has also offered lots of links to organizations that are providing aid.

I am particularly interested in the efforts to give handmade items to the folks who need a hand. I was scheduled to teach a plushies workshop on Saturday morning, but I didn't get enough students. So instead, I'm going to make some plushies to send on a journey of love and healing. And I invite you to join me! The relief effort includes a call for toys, clothes, quilts, baby items, and especially items for winter weather (sweaters, scarves, hats, and so on) -- it is almost autumn in their neck of the woods.

I can't think of a better way to spend Valentine's Day than to give away your love to the wider world. You can get more information about what the Aussie crafting community is doing, and how you can help, by clicking here.

1 comment:

inkberryblue said...

Judy, you're an angel.
Thank you so much for doing this.
Happy Valentine's Day.
x