Saturday, March 28, 2009

Starting, again and again

It is a cliche, but it is true: every day is a new day. Every season opens our eyes anew.

Crocuses (four)

I find myself experimenting more than usual. What if I unwrap one of those little canvases I bought (on sale!), and actually, really use it? Can I simply work on it and see what develops? Can I be unafraid to make something ugly or uninteresting? Can I give myself that permission, that freedom?

Yellow circle canvas, stage one

What I know about this piece: I want to make circles, I want there to be yellow and orange, and I want to use materials that interest me. This photo is stage one, background in progress. I traced round objects with pencil and marker, glued on some fabric and paper circles, then added some paint. Not much to look at right now. I want to learn to accept my unease as I work. (My inner critic is screaming that this piece is already a failure, but I've put in my earplugs, and I'm sticking out my tongue in a defiant raspberry.)

Blue/pink hat scrumble

Crochet has become my bus stop sport. I don't make a lot of bus trips, but when I take a ride, I have yarn and hook in hand. Today, the thingy developed into another little hat for a plushie or a doll. Maybe. Anyway, I'm adding pink fringe, learning more about crochet and acceptance as I go.

6 comments:

GreenishLady said...

Yay You! I know that struggle of being with stuff as it begins, and how easy it would be to dismiss it, let it go. I love the idea of crocheting like that - see what it will turn into. It's wonderful that you share your beginnings here. Thank you.

Stacia said...

Thanks for the comment about my mermaid doll. I love her. So did you get a new camera yet?

bellamocha said...

I really love this post...its full of warmth and inspiration...and I can identify with some of it so much!

I have just started a metalwork class and am loving it - I've wanted to do it for so long but suddenly feel stuck, and uncreative...it's almost as if I need to give myself permission to be so. I feel I'm going to do great things with it, as long as I can get past the first hurdle of needing to design something myself!

Please keep posting...we wnat to know more!
Bella :)

nonizamboni said...

So, so glad you are wearing those earplugs! And unrolling that canvas. You never cease to inspire me!
Your photo of the crocus-es, croci? is lovely.
peace & hugs!

inkberryblue said...

Your shot of the flowers is really beautiful.
...and I agree, inner critics deserve raspberries! I love the gentle colours in your painting and the blots of colour.
Your post got me reflecting on my own relationship with my inner critic. When I started taking painting classes, as an adult, I painted in a really tight, convergent way. I had an image I wanted and I'd fight with the paint and brushes to get it. Then I was shown a documentary about the Spanish abstract artist Antoni Gaudi. Gaudi talked about entering into a dialogue with the picture ~ painting in response to the textures, colours and shapes that emerged on the canvas. His approach to painting was intuitive, spontaneous, non judgemental and really inspiring. It's stayed with me and I think about painting as a journey now, something divergent, a process. I enjoy painting so much more too.
I'd love to see more of your work and thank you for giving me food for thought.
Happy Sunday!

Alma Stoller said...

Great for you. That is the way to do it Judy. Tell that inner critic that you aren't interested in what she has to say.

And as for the crochet thingie...
it is a fiberlicious
exploration....creative play, and meditation. Lose yourself in it.
All forms of oddities are welcomed in the world of freeform crochet.

Rock it!
Alma