Thursday, April 16, 2009

On a hike

The weather has finally turned to spring, so today I took a little hike. There's a steep ridge near my house that has been left wild; it is crisscrossed with narrow dirt trails, where people jog (with or without dogs) and hike. There's a highway in the valley below, but the road noise is low. The trails are mostly quiet in the morning.

I brought a backpack with a snack and water, my camera, my outdoor sketching journal, pencils and pens. I took it slowly, taking everything in, not in a hurry to get anywhere.

I spotted some blooms up the steep slope and climbed up to sketch them. Finding a place to perch, without sliding back down, was a challenge. Once I took out the colored pencils, I was frustrated that I could not find the right green for the stems and leaves. But I continued, accepting my rusty drawing skills, consoling myself with some photos of the scene that I didn't capture very well in the journal.

Yellow flowers on ridge (wide view)

Yellow flowers on ridge

I ate my snack, happy to be eating outside. I watched a freight train on the ridge opposite me, then closed my eyes to feel the sun on my back and the still-cool breeze on my face. This was a spring moment. All was right with the world.

4 comments:

inkberryblue said...

Beautiful photographs! It sounds like an idyllic morning. (It's been an age since I went out and sketched anything. I'm inspired!)

Joanne said...

Sounds lovely. We're having beautiful autumn weather here, so I can relate on that level.
I only sketch when we are on vacation, at the beach or in the bush. I'm not very good but I'm sure its good for some part of the brain to try to interpret what you see onto paper.

Plain Jane said...

a day well spent! sounds lovely.

Plain Jane said...

Few people know how to take a walk.
The qualifications are endurance, plain clothes, old shoes,
an eye for nature, good humor, vast curiosity, good speech,
good silence and nothing too much.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just read that on Lesley Riley's blog and had to come back here and post it.