Monday, May 4, 2009

This weekend

Maple in the park

(maple tree at the park, Sunday evening)

As the trees bloom and "leaf out," I feel spring, here and now -- no more waiting!

I spent a lot of my weekend working on my yellow circles canvas, learning how to be more in the moment as I worked. I went through some feelings of hopelessness -- as I painted on the oranges, I felt I was ruining it. Fear raised its ugly head. But then I put my despair down, and got out a pen, and drew little brown circles all over the background. It needed a center, and I wanted to stitch, so I found a big canvas needle and reddish brown embroidery floss. After I traced circular objects with a pen, I discovered it wasn't so tough to stitch through the paint and gel. (A metaphor, perhaps?: Breaking through the surface of things isn't as tough as you think it's going to be.)

Yellow circle canvas, stage 3

It isn't quite done yet, and it isn't terrific. But what gets me excited is the fact that I am doing, and not giving up. Process teaches me more than my usual over-thinking. And, I can take another step in putting aside my perfectionism, by accepting this creation, warts and all.

4 comments:

Cotton Picker said...

Looking good!

Joanne said...

I think it looks great. LOVE the stitching!

NM_Creatrix said...

I like this, but this is my color scheme (when I am not doing Purple!). Keep up the good work.

inkberryblue said...

Your image is complex and interesting to look at. I love the way you're combining painting and textiles. Go you!