Monday, May 11, 2009

The real deal

I'd noticed the very attractive Canon camera sales in the newspaper ads last Sunday. A particularly nice package caught my eye: A Canon EOS Rebel XSi, with the standard lens, plus a telephoto lens AND a camera bag. Essentially, the package was priced so that you got the telephoto lens for super cheap. I know folks who love their Canons, and I was sure that this would be plenty of camera for me. But the little doubts started creeping in: "I don't really need a telephoto lens." "That's a heck of a lot of money for a camera." "Am I that committed to photography?" "I shouldn't spend that much money on myself."

But come Saturday, I decided to be brave. I mentioned to my husband that I'd like to go camera shopping before the sales were over, and he was immediately willing to come with me. (He does love electronics!) After Ross' track meet and lunch, we drove to Best Buy. Chris told Ross: "Mark this day on your calendar -- your mom actually wants to go to Best Buy!"

Ross had to be patient while Chris and I checked out the XSi. Chris gave me his opinion, then wandered off to browse, leaving me alone with the camera and my thoughts. I was surprised to find myself a little scared! This seemed like such a huge step, to buy myself a serious camera. I had doubts that I could learn how to use it. I quickly dismissed those thoughts; I am good at teaching myself a lot of things. (And geez, I could always take a class.)

But, there was still the price tag to consider. When Chris came back, I looked at him and asked him if he was okay with me spending that much money on a camera. He looked at me and said simply, "You enjoy photography. You should have a good camera." It was simple, cut and dried to him. (I am blessed with a wonderful partner.)

I gulped a bit when I paid for the camera. Not quite as intense as when I wrote out the huge house down payments, but still. Then the butterflies in my stomach settled down, and I realized that this is the real deal. I'm a committed photographer now!

Canon self-portrait

Canon self-portrait (close-up)

7 comments:

Joanne said...

Yay, go Judy! As for the price guilt, you'll get over it! With the excellent photos you were taking before, I can't wait to see what you do with this!

Suzee said...

Cool camera! Good that you got bells and whistles - you won't get board with it, right?? I bought a leather coat this fall that made me suck in my breath - a sale, extra coupon, and even getting a store card for another 10% off. And in the grand scheme it wasn't that much, but I know that feeling in the pit of your stomach.....

Stacia said...

Yippee. That is what I have, you are going to love it so much. Once you start using the telephoto lens you will wonder what you ever did with out it. Very excited to see the wonderful pics you will be taking with the awesome camera.

GreenishLady said...

Whoooo! Congratulations! I wish you happy snapping with your wonderful new camera! I know that pit-of-the-stomach feeling.. I'm facing into making my first solo car-purchase. Scary! But good!

Plain Jane said...

Excellent! well-deserved. Can't wait to see the results!

Cathy Smith said...

Sis,
You take absolutely wonderful photos and the proper camera will only make the photos you take even more special. As Arlene always says, "I never saw a Brink's Truck following a hearse yet!" So don't worry about the price tag. It is something you love to do and I know that my sweet brother knows just how much you love to take photos and is fine with you having a decent camera.

And besides, that means he gets to play with it also :-)

NM_Creatrix said...

congratulations! I know that you will love it and use it! My brother-in-law has a fancy Canon (not sure, but he only buys top of the line!). That's Ok cause I inherit his hand-me-down technology! Enjoy.