Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Today (a quail in the park)

I was wandering around the perennial flower beds at the park this morning, when I heard this little quail. I was amazed to see him perched on a bench in the middle of the garden. He was calling to another quail who was answering him; it must have been in the bushes at the edge of the garden. He was unperturbed by the people nearby. Eight or ten high school students were sketching flowers, and older folks were strolling around. One woman walked within two feet of the quail, and he didn't even flinch.

Quail on bench

Quail and pink daisies

Quail calling

I was the only one paying much attention to him, and I feel as if I got the exclusive photo shoot. When I finally started to walk away, he made little rustling and cooing noises at me, as if to say, "Hey baby, don't go away yet! I've got more to show you!"

9 comments:

Cotton Picker said...

I love the third shot (the close up). What a beautiful bird.

Yolanda said...

This is such a pretty shot. You did good.I haven't done the artists way but just may have to try it.

Joanne said...

Beautiful! You could frame these as a triptych- closer and closer.

Juanita said...

Awesome photos! Congratulations on the new camera, too. Will you be at AFF this year? Hope to see you there.

inkberryblue said...

Delightful!

Sarah said...

Oh what an amazing picture!!! His calling!!! Wonderful pics!! Sarah

Sarah said...

Seriously fantastic photos! Are you going to Artfiberfest this year?

Cathy Smith said...

All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!

What great photos! I told you, you have a gift.

Plain Jane said...

great photos indeed!! oh my gosh, that closeup is fantastic. I love quail--lucky you to have personal time with one.