Sunday, September 6, 2009

Gus and Bubba

Ross had been bringing the subject up for weeks. "When are we going to get a cat?"

We'd said that we'd get one after we came back from vacation. Or maybe two -- I'd started to think that one cat in our house might feel lonely when we weren't there, so two could be better. But one thing after another came up, and Chris and I felt we had too much going on. Not enough time to find a cat and give it a proper welcome. But when Ross started to get tears in his eyes every time he brought up the subject, I knew it was time to put aside our busyness and find a new pet.

We didn't plan to get two cats on Saturday. We slept in, then decided to go out for breakfast, which is something we almost never do. As we enjoyed eggs and pancakes, I realized that this might be a good time to bring home a cat. Ross was immediately enthusiastic, and Chris easily agreed. He said he'd been missing a cat to greet him when he got home from long work days. Chaplin had always been a source of comfort for him.

We thought we'd start with a trip to Petsmart to pick up supplies (a new litter box, food, toys, etc.) When we got to the food aisle, we started to pull down Chaplin's favorite varieties of Little Friskies. Chris and I both started to cry. One more wave of grief rolled through our lives, but it left as quickly as it had come. Ross hugged Chris every time he sniffled.

We looked at the cats in the store's adoption center. We went from cage to cage, saying hello to each cat, reading the name tags and adoption information. One adult tabby was very friendly, meowing and pawing at his cage bars. His name was Bubba -- perfect for such a big, affable guy. He made an impression on all of us. After some more shopping and discussion, we asked to visit with Bubba out of the cage.

What a heavy cat! I thought as I picked him up. Chaplin had lost a lot of weight in the last few years, so I wasn't used to the bulk of Bubba. He was calm and alert, didn't hide under the cages, and let us pick hold him without squirming. We noticed one of the kittens was very interested in Bubba. One of the employees had told us that Gus' litter mate had been adopted a couple weeks before, and Gus was clearly lonely and looking for a playmate. When Bubba went back in his cage, we asked to visit with Gus. Such a cute kitten, full of life! He let us pick him up, and he purred for me -- which surprised the woman who was supervising us, because she'd never heard him purr. Ross had been talking about getting a kitten ever since Chaplin died, so he was quickly smitten with Gus.

The adoption information for both cats said that they got along with other cats. I wondered if we should trust that. But the more I thought about it, the more it made sense to me. Bubba was big enough and old enough to hold his own with Gus, and Gus could learn from Bubba. Gus would have the companionship he was looking for. Ross would get a kitten, and Chris would get a lap cat. Perfect.

Chris and I did the paperwork; Gus was from the city shelter, and Bubba was from the humane society. Then it was off to find two collars, a second litter box, and so on. As I went through the checkout, Chris and Ross brought the boys to the car, and off we went.

Gus was immediately comfortable, exploring and playing, playing and exploring.


Gus under chair

Gus and Ross with feather wand

Gus and Chris in living room

Bubba was much shyer at home than he had been at Petsmart. After a little exploring, he hid under our bed, and later, he went down to the basement and hid under the futon frame in the family/computer room. We gave him lots of space. Today, he got more comfortable, and he's been upstairs with us for a good part of the day.

Here's Bubba!

So far the two guys have gotten along pretty well. Gus follows Bubba almost everywhere he goes, and Bubba has been pretty tolerant of Gus' bad manners. I think they're going to be great together. The start of a wonderful friendship.

8 comments:

Cotton Picker said...

I love hearing people's cat stories. These guys are so cute. What I miss most about not having a cat is the purring. :)

Inga

Suzee said...

Very good looking dudes :) I always thought that having 2 would keep them both occupied, but I found it meant they got into double the trouble :) I'm sure Gus and Bubba would never do that though :)

inkberryblue said...

Awwww. What a lovely post. They are such handsome boys!

Alma said...

Judy,

I am so happy for you all. As you know, I also have two cats and though the older one would rather not play as often as the younger one....they do eventually give each other what they need and they are fairly good together.

Congratulations on your new addition to your family. They are soooo very cute. I am sooooo happy for you.

Alma

Cathy Smith said...

I am so happy for you guys! I know that there will never be another Chappie but Gus and Bubba will quickly become part of your family. Bubba is truly a handsome big cat and Gus looks like he is full of fun and mischief.

I too miss the comforting sound of a cat purring against your chest but while I am still working, I won't get another cat. It isn't fair to the cat being alone so much. But I sure do miss my Kitty.

Much love

Zach Hunt - Spokane Fitness Trainer said...

Nice work! These guys are lucky to have such a loving home.

Plain Jane said...

FabuLOus!! a 2 cat household is a happy household. Thanks for sharing the whole experience. Welcome Bubba and Gus!

Anonymous said...

Oh I love your new kitty cats! You will be so glad that you got two together to keep each other company! I hope they are still doing well? I have three kitties, you can see them on my blog at www.queenmarcyoriginals.typepad.com
Have a great weekend.
Marcy