Thursday, December 3, 2009

Enthusiastic heart

I was scheduled to teach a 2-hour workshop on making pincushions as gifts this Saturday at Corbin Art Center. I had been asked to design this class -- it wasn't my original idea. I agreed, thinking it would be pretty simple to do. But then I started to fall into my bad habits: I didn't even think about the class until 6 weeks ago; I came up with the supply list a couple weeks ago; and this week, I was trying to get the class samples made. I can be a queen of procrastination.

I was struggling to find enough energy to sit down each night to sew. I wasn't horribly excited about the class. It felt like an assignment, and I wasn't working from a place of enthusiasm. So, it wasn't a surprise that I didn't have a lot of drive to get the work done.

When I came home Tuesday, there was a message on the answering machine: the class had been cancelled. I was relieved! The rest and relaxation that I've gained far outweigh the money I could have made Saturday morning. Sometimes the wishes that you don't utter are heard and made manifest, in spite of yourself.

The lesson that I need to learn, over and over again: I work from my heart. Enthusiasm is my engine.

Pink heart pincushion

(I did manage to finish one class sample -- a simple felt heart pincushion. Maybe I'll sew a ribbon on it and call it an ornament? or maybe add limbs and call it a plushie?)

3 comments:

Alma said...

The pincushion/ornament/plushie looks great. And a very good lesson learned.

Alma

The Lone Beader said...

Enthusiasm is also my engine!.. I love your heart! :)

Jane LaFazio said...

you call 6 weeks in advance: procrastination?? Procrastination is the night before! Cute pin cushion/ornament!
I'm teaching a class today, which I've been working on this week. It's amazing all the prep for just a 3 hour class! Glad you're happy yours was cancelled. I've got 8 people waiting for me today! :-)