Sunday, December 27, 2009

"Live the Life"

I didn't make many Christmas presents this year. I love to do it when I have time, but this year, it wasn't possible.

However, one morning while showering, I had a flash of inspiration about a gift for a friend. She has started to work on a book. I won't go into detail about her wonderful idea, except that she intends the book to be in a binder format. I wanted to encourage her writing, and I thought, what if I gave her a binder to fill? And if it were interesting to look at, so much the better.

After some starts and stops, I came up with a cover that wraps around a small binder. It's a mixed media quilt, with blue painted paper (left over from my zine covers), felt in the middle, and commercial fabric for the binding and back. The ties are pieced together from scraps.

(Click on the photos for larger images.)

"Live the Life" binder cover

"Live the Life" binder cover (unfolded)

"Live the Life" binder cover close-up


I quilted the tentative title for the book on the cover: Live the Life. I think it has so many possibilities, that title. What would it mean if each one of us would live THE life, the life we came here to experience, the one of our wildest dreams and greatest possibilities? We would be living from our hearts -- hence, the embroidered heart on the cover. (You may recognize it from earlier this year.)

I'm not sure if the paper will hold up to wear and tear. But I hope that the binder cover gives the growing book a little hug, every time it needs one.

1 comment:

Yolanda said...

I hope that 2010 is your best year yet sweet friend.