Friday, January 22, 2010

Embracing it all

Lots of things are percolating in me right now. The year is still new, and I'm contemplating goals, and ideas, and my life, right now.

My word this year is embrace. Followed by the phrase (arms open wide). It reminds me to embrace every part of my life -- even the parts I'd rather ignore or dislike or send away. It's about wholeness. All of me, all of my experiences, and everyone and everything around me. It's all here for a reason, and I remember that as I embrace it.

Although I have been very hesitant about setting goals in past years -- mostly due to fear of disappointment -- this year, I am contemplating a few. One unshakable commitment is that I am determined to make more art this year. And, I have a goal to display my work in 3 shows/venues (at least) this year. I have no idea how that's going to happen, but it seems like a reasonable stretch for me. It's very important for me to DO the work, and to SHOW the work. Selling the work would be great, but it isn't my top priority.

I have my first show lined up already. Every year the city of Spokane hosts Raw Space, a show open to any artist who's willing to pony up the $10 entry fee and do some work. It's a mammoth group show, which takes place in a different empty building downtown each year. It's not ideal art-display conditions, but the energy and enthusiasm of the participants and the viewers make up for that. I was in the show a couple years ago, and it was great fun.

I am working to finish this piece:

Heart with patchwork

Oh, at one point I thought it was done. Since this photo was taken, I've added some beading and embroidery, and I added a back and binding.

Stitching French knots

But when I decided this was going into Raw Space, I decided to mount it onto a stretched 14" x 14" x 1-1/2" canvas. And now . . . I can't just leave the canvas blank, now can I???

You know the saying about how work expands to fill the time you have for it? The piece has to be delivered on January 30th. All month, I've been struggling to figure out what to do with the canvas. It's been a good creative exercise, but I have to do something, because the deadline is here.

So. It's time to embrace the deadline, and just do it.

1 comment:

Cotton Picker said...

Good goal. I find you really have to just dive in and start, even when you don't always know where you're going. And I understand what you're saying about struggling. Would you believe I have been sweating over how to finish a tiny 2 1/2 by 3 1/2 inch ATC?

I love the heart and look forward to seeing the full piece on canvas with all the embellishments.