Sunday, February 28, 2010

Three D isn't just for movie screens and funny glasses

I've wanted to work in a more sculptural or three-dimensional mode for quite a while. Other ideas and projects kept popping up, and I didn't follow that urge. I am easily distracted by all the cool things I see other folks doing, and I tend to want to try everything. In the past, it could take many years before I gave myself permission to leap in a new direction. But I think fear has a little less of a grip on me than it used to, and I'm getting clearer about following my inclinations instead of getting distracted by the latest and the greatest. I can admire others' work and learn from it, but I am doing myself a disservice if I don't pay attention to what my heart is telling me.

Sculptural work feels way out of my league. My brain has been very 2D, left-to-right, top-to-bottom -- I was a bookworm very early on, and my synapses are most comfortable when my eyes are scanning a page of English prose. Yet I've learned over the past 10 years that I am far more visual and color-oriented than I ever would have guessed. This journey is far from a static thing. So why not try something more 3D?

I've been looking at my copy of Three-Dimensional Embroidery by Janet Edmonds. There are so many intriguing ideas in that book! Not quite knowing where to begin, I cut ten hearts from some quilted red patchwork fabric I made last year. Now I'm sewing various white fabrics to the back side of the hearts with embroidery floss. Some will have additional embroidery, some may have beading or found objects or photos or text -- I don't have much of a plan at this point. I am happy to play.

red quilted hearts

When I have ten finished hearts, I plan to combine them in some sort of three-dimensional way. I've played with some ideas, but nothing has struck my fancy yet. I'm perfectly happy to wait and see what happens! It feels very freeing to let my planning mind take a break. Curiosity will draw me along.

3 comments:

inkberryblue said...

I love reading about your creative journey. Looking forward to see where it takes you and your pretty hearts...

Cotton Picker said...

I like these and am looking forward to the final result. :)

Joanne said...

They're lovely.
I would love one day to get away from pre-made patterns and just play with colour and texture.
Keep inspiring us, Judy!