Saturday, March 13, 2010

Creating pink fabric

I've had the urge to make a new bag. We're going to Disneyland over Easter weekend, and I'd like a nice bag that'll carry my essentials while we travel.

At JoAnn Fabrics, I found a nice remnant of outdoor canvas, a green floral print. I thought it'd be fun to create some pink fabric to go with it, so last weekend I pulled out a ragged pair of chino pants. They were a light stone color -- not my first choice of background color, but suitable. I cut along the seams of one of the pant legs to create two long and skinny halves. Pulling out the fabric paints and acrylic inks, I painted different patterns on each section.

Last night I decided to stitch some free-motion flowers on top of one of the pieces. I'm not quite done yet, but this is a sample of how it looks so far.

Pink flower power fabric

Now I'm thinking that remnant is going to be the bag lining, and I'm going to paint more fabric for the outside of the bag. Once I start fabric painting, it's hard to stop!

3 comments:

Cotton Picker said...

Hi Judy. I think definitely your painted fabric should be on the outside of the bag.

inkberryblue said...

I think it should be on the outside too! It's very pretty. I really like the combination of paint and embroidery. =)

Jane LaFazio said...

ooh, I like this. Can't wait to see the whole thing.