Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A 30-day challenge

As I was standing in the shower this morning, a thought drifted in: What if I give myself a creative challenge? Something that would get me doing something creative every day. And, I could blog about it. I could get back in the groove. Hmmm.

These are my rules:
1. I must do some creative work for at least 15 minutes every day. I may work on an ongoing project, sketch, journal, take photos, write a poem -- whatever moves me that day.
2. I will blog about whatever I did that day.
3. I will do this for 30 days.
4. Above all, I will be kind to myself during this challenge. No browbeating myself for "bad" work, no guilt trips if I am too sick to work or if emergencies arise. I intend this to be a positive, encouraging experience.

I know there are similar challenges out there that are fairly organized, but I am not looking for a group experience right now. This is my journey, and I feel that it needs to be solitary, even selfish, right now. I'm not afraid to admit that this is for me. I want to document this challenge so that I can see what I'm learning as I go along.

But if you want to peek in from time to time, you might find it entertaining.

Today is Day 1.

I've been working on those red quilted hearts in small doses, mostly when I'm waiting for Ross to get out of school. Today I spent a little time finishing up the current heart.

Today's heart

I've now completed 7 out of 10:

7 hearts finished

I'm quite undecided about whether I'll add more to the backs:

7 hearts finished (backs)

I don't have a real plan for how they're going to become a sculpture once they're finished. I trust that the ideas will flow when the time is right.

1 comment:

Cotton Picker said...

I think that's a great challenge. Love the hearts. :)