Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Open the door

I've struggled with blogging the past few months. Life has been so hectic and full of challenges. I was getting some creative work done, but -- honestly, the turbulence has drained me. I am tired, and some days, depressed.

Ah, my old friend, depression. I recognize its vicious cycle earlier than I used to, but I certainly haven't mastered it yet.
Step one: feel depressed.
Step two: feel tired.
Step three: don't do things you like to do because you're tired.
Step four: feel more depressed because you aren't doing things you like to do.
Repeat.
Until you recognize the downward spiral and DO SOMETHING!

Luckily, I've had a photography challenge in front of me for a couple weeks. I've joined a new camera club. The group agreed that we'd each show up to 5 photos on the theme of "doors" for our first full meeting. And so I've been considering a subject that I've not shot before, and trying to create interesting images with a topic that didn't grab me.

I've managed to get 4 photos that I like. I'm not in love with any of them, but at least they got me out of the house and out of my head for a while. (Click on the photos for a larger view on flickr.)

Break down

Photo #1: Break down
The houses and businesses in the neighborhood next to my son's school is being bought up by the state and then torn down to make room for a freeway. Most of the houses are entirely boarded up, but one house didn't have its door barricaded. I noticed the big muddy footprint as I was driving by one afternoon and it intrigued me, so I went back and took some pictures.


Japanese Bathroom Sign at Manito Park

Photo #2: Japanese Bathroom Sign at Manito Park
The public bathrooms nearest to the Japanese garden have fading signs in (surprise!) Japanese. This isn't technically a door photo, but you can see the hinges of the bathroom door in the background.


Pull (Spokane County Courthouse Doors)

Photo #3: Pull
Our county courthouse is a very ornate structure. Recently I was on jury duty, and decided to photograph the doors on a Sunday afternoon (no security guards or citizens to bother me). The doors themselves aren't very interesting, but I like the brass plates with their slight blue-green patina. This photo was shot with my macro lens.


Gimme shelter?

Photo #4: Gimme shelter?
This is the worst photo of the bunch, but the most poignant to me. I was exploring a wooded, steep hill in a local park when I came across this shelter. It's constructed between two large rocks. The blue tarp creates a roof and also functions as a door. You can see some flattened cardboard boxes on the ground, which seem to form the floor inside. I could see a blanket or a sleeping bag in the small opening, but I did not put my head inside.

About a year ago, I'd heard that someone was living in this area, but the man had been run off by police. Clearly, he'd moved back. I'd also heard that the man had been angry with the city employees who work in that area, thinking that they'd turned him in. I don't think anyone was in the shelter when I was there; I'd been crunching along the path leading up to it, so I assume most folks would have heard me. However, I wasn't anxious to incur the wrath of a homeless man. So I got a few quick shots and left quietly, just in case he was sleeping in there.

I wonder if a census worker will come calling at his door.

2 comments:

Lisa Gallup said...

I can totally relate to the depression cycle. I'm also learning to recognize when it is happening. Getting outside in the sunshine, walking, or working in my garden seem to be what is best for me. But other times I need to be around people and just get the heck out of my own head! ((hugs))

Agnes said...

nerationThe good thing is that you recognize depression. Lots of people don't and just spiral downward. Deal with it, what ever it takes. Love ya!!!