Thursday, May 20, 2010

Oh the places you'll go . . .

. . . when you decide to create every day. Strange notions will pop up, and you'll decide to follow them.

Ross went off on a 3-day, 2-night camping trip with his school on Wednesday, so Chris and I had a little extra time to ourselves. I decided to do more free-motion quilting on the red and white patchwork.

Red and white quilting in sewing machine

I'm almost done with the quilting, and I've developed some ideas about how I'll put it together with the hearts I've been creating.

Tonight, Chris and I sat down at the dining room table together. He was working on his latest light saber (yes, you read that right -- he's built a couple of light sabers, complete with lights and sounds). The sewing machine would have made things crowded, so I played with an idea I had about twisting paper.

I still have some painted grocery bag paper left over from my zine covers. I cut 1/2" to 1" strips, approximately 7" long, and twisted and curled the strips. Then I sewed them together with hand quilting thread and a big needle (after I broke a regular needle).

I could hang it up, as an odd sort of tassel:

Paper twist thingy (hanging)

or I could attach it to something, as a weird flower, or hair for a doll:

Paper twist thingy

(Our cat Bubba thought it would make a great toy to chew on, but I rescued it from him!)

No comments: