Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Things that fall from the sky

Today is the 30th anniversary of the eruption of Mount St. Helens. I didn't live in Washington at the time, so I only know what I've seen on the news and what I've heard from folks who were here. Spokane is on the other side of the state from the volcano, so the impact here was mostly the ash -- days of ash-fall, making it difficult to go about daily life.

Today there were more normal things falling from the sky, like raindrops. The showers washed flower petals from the blooming trees, creating carpets of pink and white and yellow on the ground.

Today I looked out the staff room window and saw that our church grounds had a thick coating of flowering plum blossoms. I loved the green of the benches in contrast to that soft pink.

Green benches and pink blossoms

Can you imagine a shower of pink petals erupting from some sort of enchanted volcano?

Flowering plum blossoms on wet stone

1 comment:

Jane LaFazio said...

lovely photos! We lived in Corvallis when Mt St. Helen's erupted and I remember it vividly.