Sunday, July 25, 2010

Guerrilla art: "Elegy for E"

I've been intrigued by the idea of "street art" or "guerrilla art" for a long time. Cloth Paper Scissors magazine recently ran an article by Fred Free on the topic, which reignited my interest in the subject. In a nutshell, this is free art placed in public spaces, often anonymously. Sometimes it has a political message; sometimes it's meant to surprise the viewer; sometimes it's an experiment in finding the boundaries of what is art and what is "real" life.

Well. An event during my vacation rose up and smacked my sensibilities around a bit. And I ended up processing it by creating a piece of guerrilla art. It's a simple stitched-paper garland (unsigned) that I called Elegy for E.

Three flowers - Elegy for E

Four flowers - Elegy for E

Elegy for E

I quickly installed it on a small phone box, snapped a couple of photos, and left the scene.

Elegy for E (installed, front)

Elegy for E (installed)

Later, I did happen to see someone looking at the piece as I was driving by, which was a bit of an adrenaline rush. Yet I didn't create the piece for anyone else but myself. The act of creating it helped me process my thoughts and feelings. The act of putting it outside was my signal that the process was complete.

No comments: