Monday, August 23, 2010

August

Hello world.

Close-up self-portrait

August has been a stew of heat and sickness and busyness and false starts. And true starts.

One start has been my next zine. The Invitation: Something Extra #3 is my contribution to this year's I Heart Zines swap. I worked on some of the covers this weekend.

Einstein peeking through

The act of creating a zine is a leap of faith. Faith that I have enough to say, and that it is actually worth saying. Faith that I'll fit in all the work that needs to be done. Faith that my zine will arrive in the right hands.

Some days I doubt everything. I wonder what I am doing. Why am I doing any of this creative, crazy business? Why can't I stay happy only by consuming instead of creating?

Then things unfold a little more to me. I suddenly see why I went through an painful experience, why I connected with someone's artwork, or why I see beauty in my imperfect attempts to capture a feeling or moment. The "ah-ha" moments keep pulling me along, drawing me in. I am a very curious creature. I want to understand.

Orange rose heart, blurred center

I become content to let the blurred image speak. The mysteries are simply a part of life. I don't have to understand it all right now. I am invited onward on this journey.

No comments: