Friday, August 27, 2010

A zine library in Spokane

Spokane is a small city that gets a lot of sneers. Not large enough, not cool enough. Often you hear it's a great place to raise kids, but your kids will flee the city for Seattle or Portland or points beyond. I've done my share of bemoaning Spokane.

But in the last year, I've started to feel more optimistic about it. More adventurous restaurants, bicycle-centric events, a cadre of 20-somethings who seem determined to do some fun and unique stuff even if they're not in a cool town. . . . Today I met one of those folks. He helped me get my own library card at the Bird's Nest Zine Library.

Yes, a zine library! I'd read about it in the local alternative weekly, and thought it sounded like a great idea. You can borrow up to 3 zines a week. They are inhabiting a hallway next to the local alternative radio station (3rd floor of the Community Building, next to KYRS). It's staffed two afternoons a week.

Here's the main shelf:

Bird's Nest Zine Library shelves

The basic info:

Welcome note at zine library

This is an intriguing shelf:

Zine library shelf close-up

The other cool thing: a section devoted to local zines. I had no idea that there were so many folks making them around here. Maybe it seems strange, but it makes me feel like I've got more of a tribe around here.