Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Invitation

I jumped into Alma Stoller's I Heart Zines swap at the last minute this year. I'd been thinking about it for months, but I wasn't sure that I wanted to commit the time to it this year. After making 2 zines, I know myself pretty well: it takes a lot of hours to put one of these together. I spend many days writing, editing, and creating individual, handmade covers for each zine.

In the end, I couldn't miss the swap. I learn so much every time I produce a zine. It's an opportunity for exploration and art-making and putting myself "out there."

This year's Something Extra is subtitled The Invitation. I wanted the cover to convey the sense of an old formal invitation, found in an old trunk full of family photos, love letters, pressed flowers, and precious linens.

3 front covers, "Something Extra 3" zine

Each cover is an old calendar page, covered with strips of text from obsolete books (shorthand, typing, a public health book from the 1930s, etc.). I painted some words about invitations in white acrylic, then I stitched on pieces of old lace and crochet. I hope the mixture of papers and graffiti-ish words prevents the covers from becoming too sentimental. The title label is printed on blue vellum. I like how the book text shows through a little, adding another layer to peer at.

Finished zine cover, close-up

The zine contains articles that are expanded versions of some of my blog posts, plus some new photography and a couple surprises. Ten zines went out on Friday afternoon. I'm going to make a few more covers this week, and once I've sewn those together, I'll be done with Something Extra, probably for another year.

1 comment:

The Dreaming Bear said...

These look lovely! I've often thought of jumping in this too, but keep putting it off. Cheers to you for jumping in and taking off!!!