Saturday, October 30, 2010

Collaged journal page (part two)

Diana Trout's nudge #7: Paint gesso or white paint over your five-minute collage and draw into the wet paint with a pencil.

I am a big fan of FULL color, but I decided I'd give the "whitewash" a try. I attempted to apply gesso thinly in the spots where I wanted color to come through, and I wiped some of it away if it seemed too heavy. But it dried very quickly -- too fast to get the effect Diana was going for. So I had a very white page on my hands!

I took out my markers and pens, and drew back over the photos and words that I wanted to preserve. I added words that popped into my head as I worked. Then I added a little embroidery for visual interest. This was easy to do, since I'd done the collage on a separate sheet of chipboard. (I like to do elaborate pages on their own substrate, then glue them into my journal later.)

The re-drawing made me think about the images I'd chosen. A pseudo-story emerged before my eyes.

Black paint or gesso could be interesting, too. . . .

Journal page 10-30-10

2 comments:

The Dreaming Bear said...

Hey...this looks like fun!!!

Suzanne said...

I love this. Every time I look at it, I see something else. I can see you had a lot of fun with it.