Friday, December 31, 2010

Scarves for the new year

I've taken some time this week to wrap up a couple of projects.

The first project is a scarf that I began crocheting while on vacation in Michigan this summer. I bought a gorgeous hand-dyed wool and started working right away. On the flight home, however, I realized that I wouldn't have enough yarn to make the scarf as long as I like. I looked through my yarn stash, and found a cotton/poly 2-ply with almost the exact same color scheme! The colors are more muted, but I think the two yarns look great together.

Multicolored scarf

One-third of the scarf is the 2nd yarn. The combination is subtle - it takes a beat or two to see that there's a difference.

Multicolored scarf - 2 yarns

The second project: I've had the rusted fabric sitting around my house for a while, not sure what to do with it. I decided that I'd like to dye it again. I added a third piece of muslin to the pile, and added more rusty objects this time. It occurred to me that I could cut the fabric lengthwise and make a very long scarf out of it. It was hard to be patient with the dyeing process, but I am very pleased with the results.

Rust scarf

Since the rust will keep working on the fabric (the process never completely stops), it will eventually develop holes. I like the idea of embracing that natural decay. I tore the fabrics instead of cutting them, and sewed them by hand, leaving the edges ragged. The scarf will unravel and rot over time.

Rust scarf close-up

(This, too, shall pass.)

2 comments:

Cotton Picker said...

Both are very,very nice. The fabric rusting intrigues me - I'll have to give it a try.

Happy New Year, Judy.

NM_Creatrix said...

Hey Happy Holidays to you and yours! Got my new Cloth Paper Scissors, was reading along and there you were! Now I know someone who is published! haha!