Friday, June 10, 2011

Oh

I have not given up on finishing the spring banner - even though it is months late and summer will be here soon. (It's still quite cool in this neck of the woods, though. I've heard estimates that spring is about 3 weeks behind "normal.")

I had originally thought that "O" would have a sun on it. But after creating a bunch of these organza leaves, I thought they'd be pretty sprinkled on the vintage doily.

Spring banner - "O" with leaves

I sandwiched the organza between layers of Solvy (a water-soluble stabilizer), then stitched the leaves with free motion on my sewing machine. They pucker and buckle in places, which adds to their character. You'd have to put it in a hoop to get the leaves to come out flatter.

Spring banner - "O" close-up

I didn't think about the leaves unraveling with wear. After I finished sewing the leaves to the doily, I re-read a book - maybe Fragile Fabrics by Jan Beaney and Jean Littlejohn? - that talked about heat-sealing sheer synthetic fabrics so that they don't unravel. Well, it's too late for me to do it this time around. I hope they'll hold up okay over time.

3 comments:

MulticoloredPieces said...

Your blog is really creative. I enjoy your textile work.
best, nadia

Judy Merrill-Smith said...

Thanks Nadia!

Joanne said...

Those leaves are adorable and the finished block is too.